- Serves 15
- 6 hours
- Difficulty Hard
- 5 Ingredients
Fun, creative cake to make for any special occasion.
Ingredients (serves 15)
- 3 Basic Butter Cakes (your preferred recipe)
- 3 1kg Bags Soft Icing Sugar
- 750 grams Unsalted Butter
- Your Choice of Food Colours
- Vanilla Essence
- Bake your 3 round butter cakes. Once cooled, cut your 3 cakes into 3 rounds using a Checkerboard Template. (plenty on Google). Mix up butter icing with Vanilla Essence.
- Using plain vanilla icing only, spread some into each round and stick inside. Rotate each round so each of the 3 cakes varies in colours. Example - 3 Cakes, 3 Colours - Pink, Purple, White. Cake 1 - From Centre - White, Pink, Purple Cake 2 - From Centre - Pink, Purple, White Cake 3 - From Centre - Purple, White, Pink.
- Once each cake is complete with its mixed colours, choose your base layer and spread with plain vanilla icing. Place on second cake and again spread on icing, followed by 3 (top) cake layer. Spread a think layer of vanilla icing over the whole cake to make it even for decorating.
- To make the ombre ruffle icing, choose your darkest colour and mix about 2 cups. Take approx 1/4 cup of that colour and mix into 1 cup of vanilla. Take 1/4 cup of that colour and mix with vanilla. Keep going until you have your desired shades. They will get lighter as you go.
- Using a Rose tip (shaped like a tear drop) icing nozzle. With the large part at the bottom and smaller end at the top, without moving your hand, Pull down and around back to join. Plenty of videos on You Tube!
- Change your colours as you go up the cake. Decorate on top as you like.
This can be done using only 2 colours (2 cakes). It is best to use a butter cake for this recipe as it makes cutting the rings a lot easier as it is not crumbly. Using soft cakes will break easily. Warning: Extremely SWEET! Lots of sugar in this cake!