A cheeky, quick way to make homemade cannelloni by short cutting the filling using delicious chevap skinless sausages. A crowd pleaser.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 500g chevap skinless sausages
- 1 onion
- 1 tin tomatoes
- 1/4 bunch basil
- 3 cloves garlic
- spash red wine
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 30g butter
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 350ml milk
- 70g cheese for sauce
- 80g cheese for the top
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon oil
- For the pasta: Using the lasagna disc put two cups of flour into the well of the Phillips Pasta and Noodle maker. Start the machine and then add to the liquid cup 1 egg and 1/2 teaspoon of oil and top with water to the 190m line. Drizzle into the machine. As the sheets extrude cut them to the long length of the chevaps and set aside.
- To make the cannelloni: roll the chevaps in the pasta and set aside
- To make the tomato sauce: In a saucepan brown the onions and garlic, add the tin tomatoes, sugar, red wine, salt and basil and cook till it thickens slightly.
- To make the bechamel: Melt the butter and add 2 tablespoons of plain flour and cook for a few minutes. Slowly add the milk till it makes a smooth sauce. Then add the cheese.
- To assemble: Pour a little bechamel in a greased pan. Place the cannelloni seam side down on top of the becamel and cover with the remaining bechamel. Top with the tomato sauce and the extra cheese. Bake for 60min in a moderate oven till cooked through and golden brown.
Add a salad, bread and wine and this is a great Italian feast.