Hideous looking – you can leave out the fingernails and just make fingers if you like!
Ingredients (makes 24 )
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar
- 125g butter, at room temperature, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- sea salt, to serve (optional)
- sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to moderate, 180 C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Place Parmesan, cheddar and butter into a bowl. Using fingertips rub together.
- Add the egg and mix well. Sift together flour and cayenne into the cheese mixture. Add chives. Mix until dough comes together.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth. Wrap in plastic film and chill until firm enough to handle.
- Break dough into 4 portions and roll into long thin sausage shapes, cut each into 8cm lengths, press almonds into the ends to make fingernails and arrange on prepared baking trays.
- bake for 10 to 12 mins until golden. Allow to cool on trays for 5 mins. Transfer to a rack to cool completely. Sprinkle with sea salt to serve.