- Serves 4
- 75 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 14 Ingredients
These Cheesy Meatballs with a Vegetable Sauce are a firm family favourite!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 500g lean beef mince
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbs finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 100g piece tasty cheese, cut into 1cm cubes
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 500g roma tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup salt-reduced tomato paste
- 2 beef stock cubes
- Cooked pasta, to serve
- Combine mince, onion, basil, egg and breadcrumbs in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Shape 1 tablespoon mixture into a flat round. Place 1 cheese cube in centre of round. Shape mixture around cheese to form a ball. Repeat with remaining mixture and cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook meatballs, in batches, turning, for 3 to 4 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate. Cover with foil.
- Heat remaining oil in pan. Add celery, carrot and zucchini. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until celery starts to soften. Add tomato. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add tomato paste, crumbled stock cubes and 1 cup cold water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered for 30 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
- Return meatballs to pan. Simmer, covered, for 5 to 7 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through. Serve meatballs and sauce with pasta