- Serves 8
- 30 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 21 Ingredients
Introducing our family NO FAIL SPONGE WITH VANILLA FROSTING – it makes up to be a wonderful treat. I do hope you enjoy my sand castle creation. Have fun and please enjoy!
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 170g sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 tblesps water
- 1 heaped teasp baking powder
- 4 large eggs, separated
- vanilla to taste
- 170g cornflour
- For the FROSTING:
- 2 egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
- 11/2 cups white sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 teasp cream of tartar
- 1 teasp vanilla extract
- I pk sweet plain biscuits(if coeliac use gluten free) crushed
- 5 ice cream cones (once again if coeliac make sure they are gluten free)
- or rollettes (mini jam filled cakes)
- shells for decorating(If using shells from the beach make sure you boil them in a large saucepan of boiling water for a good few minutes to clean and sterilise them
- sea themed decorations
- lollies (if you want seaweed)
- jam (for between the cake layer)
- Bring sugar and water to the boil.
- Beat egg whites with salt until stiff.
- While still beating, pour in hot sugar and water mixture.
- Add egg yolks and turn off mixer.
- Fold in previously mixed sifted dry ingredients with a spatula.
- Bake at 180c for 15-20 minutes in 2 x 20 cm square tins which have been lined with baking paper.
- For the FROSTING:
- In the top of a double boiler, combine all ingredients BUT the vanilla, Beat 1 minute.
- Cook over boiling water beating constantly for 7 minutes or until the frosting makes firm peaks. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla. Beat until able to spread.
- Once cake has cooled spread a layer of jam between the two sponge layers and add a small layer of the frosting over the jam. Sandwich the two sponges together and ice with frosting. Place ice cream cones at each corner and one in the middle and frost these as well. Sprinkle crushed biscuits over the frosting(this represents the sand).
- Place sea shells and decorations onto the frosting and be amazed at your creation.
This wonderful sponge is a NO FAIL RECIPE and indeed has never failed for me. The crushed biscuits over the frosting give the illusion of being sand and the fun sand castle is ideal for the young and young at heart.