- Difficulty Easy
Indulge your senses with this decadent dessert, which includes a helping of Australia’s healthy native nut the Macadamia!
Recipe courtesy of The Australian Macadamia Society
Ingredients of this Macadamia sweet treat:
- 50g unsalted macadamia nuts
- 200g plain flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 100g cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- 7 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 cup macadamia nuts, roasted, roughly chopped
- 150ml thickened cream
- 200g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C, fan‐forced.
- To make the pastry, in a food processor blend the macadamia nuts until finely chopped (be careful not to over-blend) and set aside.
- Blend the flour, salt, sugar and butter until they resemble breadcrumbs, add the chopped macadamia nuts.
- Lightly whisk the eggs and water together and add to the food processor with the motor running. As soon as the pastry starts to form a ball, stop blending and wrap in cling wrap shaping into a disc and place into the fridge for an hour.
- Roll out the pastry between two sheets of non stick baking paper until 3mm thickness and line a 26cm (10 inch) fluted removable base tart tin and trim the edges. Place into the freezer for an hour. Line with non stick baking paper and fill with pastry weights or uncooked beans or rice and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the weights and paper and place back into the oven for a further 10 minutes or until the pastry is golden. Reduce the oven heat to 150°C, fan forced.
- Place the egg yolks and sugar into a medium sized bowl and whisk until the sugar is dissolved. Add the macadamia nuts and chilli flakes and stir to combine.
- Heat the cream in a saucepan over medium heat and just bring to the boil, remove from the heat and add the chocolate and stir until smooth. Pour over the egg mixture and fold through.
- Pour into the tart shell and bake for 15-20 minutes or until just set.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing and serving with whipped cream and mixed berries.