A fun Christmas cooking activity.
Ingredients (makes 24 )
- 125g Unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar
- 1/2 cup or 125g Golden syrup
- 1 Egg
- 3 cups Plain flour
- 3 tsp Ground ginger
- 1 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Bi-carb soda
- Royal icing:
- 1 1/2 cup Icing sugar
- 1 Egg white
- 1/2 tsp White vinegar
- Cream together the butter and sugar. Add the syrup and egg and beat until combined.
- Sift the flour, spices, baking powder and bi-carb together over the butter mixture. Stir all the ingredients together with a wooden spoon to form a dough. Shape the dough into a disc, wrap in plastic, and chill in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees. Dust your work area and rolling pin with flour. Divide dough into quarters. Roll out one quarter to 5mm thick. Using Christmas cutters cut out shapes and place on baking paper lined trays. Continue this process until all the dough is used.
- Bake biscuits in the oven for 12 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool on trays for 5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Royal Icing: beat egg white until peaks form. Continue beating and add vinegar. Add icing sugar in small amounts while still beating. Beat until you have soft peaks. Fill a piping bag to decorate biscuits or fill a clip seal bag with icing and snip the corner.