- Serves 8
- 4 hours
- Difficulty Medium
- 10 Ingredients
I have been making Pea and Ham soup for ages, a recipe given to me by my grandmother. Just recently I added the sweet potato and the family love it.
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 1 large onion - chopped
- 1/5 suede - grated
- 1/5 turnip - grated
- 1/5 parsnip - grated
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 long sticks celery chopped
- 4 garlic
- 1 ham hock
- 500 grams green split peas
- 10 cups water
- Soak split peas for 2 hours and wash/rinse through.
- Place water in big pot with ham hock and split peas - bring to boil.
- Place all vegetable ingredients into pot and simmer for 3 hours. Check every now and then stirring so mix doesn't stick to the bottom.
- Remove hock onto a plate and and put soup through a blender, then back put soup back into pot.
- Pick the ham of the hock in small bits and throw into the soup.
- Pick the ham of the hock and throw into the soup.
- Serve with garlic bread - a meal in itself.
Because this classic soup takes time to make, think about doubling the quantity and freezing.