- Serves 10
- Makes 1 pumpkin full
- 50 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 16 Ingredients
This is a scrumptious Halloween-themed meal. Serve it in a hollowed-out pumpkin for a really spooktacular dish.
Ingredients (serves 10 | makes 1 pumpkin full 10)
- 1 whole Pumpkin, top sliced off and hollowed out leaving 2 cm pumpkin inside
- 500g Ingham's Chicken breast - diced, fresh breast fillet or shredded whole chicken
- 4 Bacon rashers, diced
- 1 Onion, diced
- 2 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 White potato, cubed
- 2 sticks Celery, diced
- 1 cup Corn - fresh or frozen kernels
- 2 tbs Fresh chives or parsley and chopped
- 2 tbs Butter
- 3 tbs Flour, plain or gluten free
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 3 cups Chicken stock
- Salt & peppper Season to taste
- To serve Chunks of fresh bread, dippers or bread sticks
- Preheat oven to 170C.
- Heat the butter in a large pot. Add the onion, garlic and celery to pot and sauté on a medium heat until cooked. Add in bacon and chicken, continuing to cook through. Add in flour and cook off for 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly pour in chicken stock and stir to ensure mixture does not clump. Pour in milk and stir to combine.
- Add the cubed potatoes, season with salt, and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes, continuing to stir. Do not boil. Add in peas and corn, continue to cook for 3 minutes.
- Chop the top of the pumpkin off near the rim with enough space to hollow out and de-seed the pumpkin. Leave 2 cm of pumpkin inside. Pour the chowder mixture into the pumpkin. Place the pumpkin lid back on and bake in the oven for 15 minutes. If you want to eat the pumpkin, continue to cook until pumpkin is soft. You can also cook this in the slow cooker - follow the same process as for the oven and cook on low heat for 3 - 4 hours.
- Serve with fresh chives, cracked pepper, fresh bread or bread sticks. Enjoy!