Impress mum this Mother’s Day (or any other day) with these delicious Crepes with Caramel Apples and Whipped Cream. Very easy to do…but she doesn’t need to know that!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 cups Plain flour
- 3 Eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup Butter, melted
- 3 TBS Sugar
- 3 cups Milk
- 2 Large Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 20g Butter
- 1/4 cup Brown sugar
- dash Cream
- 150ml Heavy cream
- In a large bowl, combine flour, eggs, butter, and sugar, stirring until ingredients are slightly mixed.
- Add the milk ½ cup at a time, stirring vigorously, making sure the milk is completely incorporated into the batter and that the batter is smooth before adding more milk.
- Repeat with the rest of the milk. The batter should be very liquidy and have no lumps. Allow mixture to stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a frying pan then add apples. Cook for a few minutes then add in brown sugar bit by bit until desired sweetness is achieved (you may not need all the sugar)
- Add in a dash of cream and stir through to combine
- Cook on a low heat until apples are softened and sauce has thickened slightly. Remove from heat, but keep warm
- In a pan over medium heat, pour ⅓ cup of the batter in the center and swirl the batter around the edges of the pan until set.
- To know when the crepe is ready to flip, lift up one of the edges about ⅓ of the way. The bottom side should be golden brown. Flip the crepe.
- Cook until the edges are starting to slightly crisp.
- Remove from heat and cover with a paper towel to make sure the crepes stay moist.
- When ready to serve, Whip the cream and spread a thin layer on each crepe. Top with some of the caramel apples and top with more cream if desired
Some other great fillings can be: Nutella and chopped strawberries, Banana, cinnamon and honeyed ricotta, or omit the sugar from the crepe recipe and fill with savory things like wilted baby spinach and poached eggs, or scrambled eggs and bacon with chives...let your imagination run wild!