- Makes 25
- 15 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 8 Ingredients
this is great for having with a cup of coffee or tea, and lasts a while in an airtight container too.
Ingredients (makes 25 slices)
- 2 cups chopped pitted dates
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 185g butter, chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/3 cups plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 3cm deep, 20cm x 30cm (base) lamington pan.
- Combine dates, water and 1/4 cup of caster sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until dates have absorbed liquid. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Sift flour and bicarbonate of soda over butter mixture. Stir until well combined. Add oats. Mix well. Press half the mixture into base of prepared pan. Spread date mixture over the top.
- Crumble remaining oat mixture over date mixture so dates are completely covered, pressing on with your fingertips. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon of caster sugar. Cut into slices. Serve warm or cold.