- Serves 8
- 60 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 9 Ingredients
A very moist loaf cake, ideally cut into slices and buttered. It keeps very well in an airtight container if it lasts that long.
Note: ground ginger may be omitted if you wish also walnuts may also be omitted if there are nut allergies…then it becomes a date loaf.
Delicious! Hope you enjoy!
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 110g chopped dates
- 55g margarine
- 225ml boiling water
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 225g self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 55g chopped walnuts
- 170g brown sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Place dates and margarine is a bowl with boiling water and bicarbonate of soda. Gently mix with wooden spoon to ensure all margarine has melted and dates plump up. Allow to cool.
- In mixing bowl, combine self raising flour,ground ginger, walnuts and sugar, then add to cooled bowl of dates, margarine, water and bicarb. Mix well with wooden spoon and add beaten egg. Spoon mixture into a lined loaf tin.
- Bake for around 60 minutes at 170 C .
- Leave to cool on a wire rack. Slice and spread with butter.
You may also like…
You May Like
Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.