Hot dogs for dessert? Yes please!
Ingredients (makes 6 "hot dogs")
- 60g butter, chopped
- 2/3 cup plain flour
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 bananas
- whipped cream
- Strawberry and caramel topping to serve
- Prepare the “buns” by making a basic Choux Pastry. Combine butter and 2/3 cup cold water in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until butter has melted and mixture just starts to boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture comes away from side of pan and forms a ball. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Using a wooden spoon gradually beat in eggs until well combined and mixture forms a glossy dough. Preheat oven to 220 degrees C. Pipe the mixture into long sausage shapes onto a lined baking tray. Bake for 10 minutes and then lower heat to 180 degrees for a further 15 minutes of cooking. Cut a slit in the top and place back into the now turned off oven with the door ajar to cool.
- Fill with whipped cream, halve a banana lengthwise (paint with red food dye to make it look like a hot dog if you like) and drizzle with caramel and strawberry topping (to look like mustard and tomato sauce).