- Makes 6
- 45 minutes
- Difficulty Medium
- 6 Ingredients
Hot dogs for dessert? Yes please!
Ingredients (makes 6 "hot dogs")
- 60g butter, chopped
- 2/3 cup plain flour
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 bananas
- whipped cream
- Strawberry and caramel topping to serve
- Prepare the “buns” by making a basic Choux Pastry. Combine butter and 2/3 cup cold water in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until butter has melted and mixture just starts to boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture comes away from side of pan and forms a ball. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Using a wooden spoon gradually beat in eggs until well combined and mixture forms a glossy dough. Preheat oven to 220 degrees C. Pipe the mixture into long sausage shapes onto a lined baking tray. Bake for 10 minutes and then lower heat to 180 degrees for a further 15 minutes of cooking. Cut a slit in the top and place back into the now turned off oven with the door ajar to cool.
- Fill with whipped cream, halve a banana lengthwise (paint with red food dye to make it look like a hot dog if you like) and drizzle with caramel and strawberry topping (to look like mustard and tomato sauce).
The kids thought this was lots of fun to make and especially loved adding the sauce at the end.