- Makes 6
- 45 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 5 Ingredients
A quick and easy tortilla recipe that tastes so much better than the store bought variety!
Ingredients (makes 6 Tortillas)
- 1 cup Plain wholemeal flour
- 1 cup Plain flour
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 3 Tbsp Olive oil
- 3/4 cup Tepid water
- Place the dry ingredients into the bowl of a stand mixer or food processor fitted with a dough hook/blade (a good old bowl and hands do the job too!). With the motor running, drizzle in the oil and water. You may need to add a little extra water if it seems too dry.
- Once the dough has come together, cover with plastic wrap and leave to rest for about 30 minutes (this step isn't essential, but it definitely makes a difference to the texture of the wraps and makes them much easier to roll out).
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Divide the dough into 6 equal portions (I use scales to do this), and roll each portion into a round, about 2mm thick. Cook each tortilla for about 1 minute on each side or until lightly browned. Serve.
- Note: These freeze well so you could even make a double batch. Just freeze with a sheet of baking paper between each tortilla.
Once you've made your own tortillas you'll never go back! They are so easy and you only need your pantry ingredients. Costs cents to make a batch compared to $$ buying the same quantity. Serve with your favourite Mexican dish, use as wraps for lunch, or spread with peanut butter, a whole banana, roll up and cut into rounds to eat as a snack.