- Serves 16
- Makes 2
- 1 hours
- Difficulty Medium
- 6 Ingredients
This is a very light sponge recipe, it is not the normal one I make as I have misplaced the very old recipe but this was another one given to me many years ago.
Ingredients (serves 16 | makes 2 cakes)
- 4 eggs
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 3/4 cup custard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Of bicarb soda
- 1 teaspoon of tartar
- Separate eggs, beat whites with salt until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar, beat until dissolved , add egg yolks, beat for 1 minute.
- fold in sifted dry ingredients. Pour into 2 deep cake tins ( don't forget to grease tins You can half the ingredients if you don't want a thick sponge cake when joining or you can make 2 sponges and slice down the middle to get 2 cakes. Picture is one cake.
- Bake in a moderate a moderate oven 20-25min When cool slice and add whipped cream and custard in the centre or whipped cream and jelly. Sprinkle with icing sugar.
- I cooked this one in the Airfryer, I have not got settings and temperature correct as yet so because I checked it thinking it was cooked, but it wasn't, the cake actually sunk. I just placed this on the bottom so you cannot tell.