- Serves 4
- 35 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 8 Ingredients
Great for if you like lemon desserts, you can put thickened cream on afterwards which acts as a flavour enhancer.
Preparation 20 minutes
Cooking 35 minutes
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 50g butter
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- finely grated zest and juice 2 lemons
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup self-raising flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- icing sugar, for dusting
- cream and lemon peel strips, to serve
- Preheat oven to moderately slow, 160C. Lightly grease 4 x 1-cup ramekins. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream the butter, half the sugar and all the zest together until light and fluffy. Beat in egg-yolks and flour. Gradually beat in lemon juice and milk, until well combined.
- In a clean bowl, using an electric mixer, beat egg-whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar until the mixture is thick and glossy. Gently fold through lemon mixture. Pour evenly between prepared ramekins.
- Place ramekins in a large baking pan. Fill baking dish with boiling water until it comes halfway up the side of the ramekins. Bake for 30-35 minutes until firm and golden. Dust with icing sugar. Serve with cream. Top with lemon strips, if desired.
Tip - It will take about 1 hour to cook if using 1 large dish. This dish is quite saucy in the base.