- Serves 5
- 2 hours
- Difficulty Medium
- 10 Ingredients
At first I was sceptical about cherries in a savoury dish such as meatloaf, but I was absolutely thrilled with the results and couldn’t stop devouring it. The origin of this recipe is Belgium (from a Flemish region). Every place you go throughout the country have their own variation of herbs to add a different twist to this basic recipe!
Ingredients (serves 5)
- 1kg Sausage Mince
- 1 kg Beef Mince
- 1 Large Brown onion diced
- 2 tsp Dried Mixed Herbs
- 1/2 tsp Smoked paprika
- Good Pinch Salt and Pepper
- 50mL Tomato Sauce
- 100mL Worcestershire Sauce
- 600g Jar Cherries
- 1/3 Cup Cherry Juice, reserved from jar of cherries
- Combine mince, herbs, sauces, onion cherry juice and seasonings. Mix together until combined.
- Put onto large board or working surface and work into a square that is approximately 1/4 of an inch thick or as desired.
- Place cherries on top of meat square.
- Fold left and right side of meat square onto itself (about an inch, this is so the cherries stay in place).
- Roll from front to back as with a Swiss roll
- Place in greased loaf tin and bake in oven on 160c for approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Drop oven temperature to 120c during last half an hour of cooking.