Jazz up your Christmas morning with this elegant breakfast that is sure to impress. Its French toast with a twist!
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 1 Panettone
- 6 Eggs
- 3/4 cup Thickened cream
- 3/4 cup Whole milk
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 2 TBS Unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup Mascarpone cheese
- Assorted fresh berries
- Icing sugar to dust
- FOR THE SYRUP
- 1 cup Water Water
- 1 packed cup Brown sugar
- 2 TBS Thickened cream
- For the syrup. In a heavy base saucepan, bring the water and the sugar to a boil over high heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Boil until the syrup reduces to about 1 cup (approximately 10 minutes)
- Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the cream. Keep warm unil serving
- Meanwhile, using a serrated knife, remove the top from the panettone, and cut the bottom of the panettone Into 4 large, thick slices. Cut each of these slices into quarters, so that you have 16 quarters
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, milk and sugar until smooth. Melt 1 TBS butter in a non stick frying pan. Working in batches, dip slices of the panettone in the milk mixture, turning to allow both sides to soak it up.
- Cook the panettone slices until they are golden and firm to the touch. Place cooked slices into a low oven to keep warm, and repeat with the remaining panettone until all cooked.
- Transfer to a serving plate, and top with fresh berries, drizzle with the syrup and lastly top with mascarpone and a dusting of icing sugar