These home made rolls are so delicious that I bake them on a regular basis. This recipe I found on Taste.
Ingredients (makes 8 Bread rolls)
- 3 cups Plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 40 grams Butter
- 1 cup Warm milk
- 1 tablespoon Dried yeast
- 2 teaspoons Caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons Plain flour to dust
- Combine flour & salt in a bowl. Add butter, use fingertips to rub butter into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Combine milk, yeast & sugar in a jug, set aside for 5 minutes or until frothy. Add to flour mixture, stir to combine. Turn onto a lightly floured surface & knead for 10-15 minutes or until smooth & elastic.
- Brush a large bowl with oil. Place dough in bowl & cover with damp tea towel. Set aside in a warm, draught free place for 1 hour or until dough doubles in size.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celcius. Punch centre of dough. Turn onto lightly floured surface, knead for 2 minutes or until smooth. Divide dough into eight even portions. Roll each portion into a ball. Place on lightly floured oven tray. Set aside for 10 minutes to rise.
- Lightly brush rolls with a little water & dust with extra flour. Bake for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to 180 degrees celcius. Bake for a further 15-20 minutes or until rolls are golden brown & sound hollow when tapped on base. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Especially delicious with melted butter. I often serve these with soup & they are fantastic in lunch boxes.