- Serves 4
- 1 hours
- Difficulty Medium
- 10 Ingredients
Beautiful fresh tomato soup, tastes better than from a can. A winner with the whole family.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1kg Ripe tomatoes, skinned
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion
- 1 Carrot, finely chopped
- 1 Stalk of Celery, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp Fresh marjoram leaves (or 1/4 tsp of dried marjoram)
- 450ml Water or Chicken stock
- 4-5 Tbsp Double Cream
- 2 Tbsp Chopped fresh basil leaves
Notes... This soup is best made with ripe tomatoes, if the tomatoes are a little pale you can still make it but the flavour will not be as rich. If you have no basil, substitute with tarragon.
- In order to skin the tomatoes, score the skin at the bottom lightly in a cross and boil for 30 seconds, place straight into cold water and the skin will peel off.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and scrape the seeds into a sieve set over a bowl to catch the juice, reserve the juice and discard the seeds. Chop the tomatoes into large chunks.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, add the onion, carrot and celery and cook over a medium to low heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes and their juice, along with the garlic and marjoram. Cook for approximately 2 mins, stir in the water and reduce the heat and simmer covered for about 45 minutes until the vegetables are very soft.
- Take the pan off the heat and using a stick blender, puree until smooth (or transfer to a blender). Place the soup back on a medium to low heat and add the cream and stir in the basil. DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL.
- Serve immediately, you can swirl a little extra cream into each serving if desired.
Recipe Fresh tomato soup
You may also like…
You May Like
Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.