- Serves 12
- Makes 12-16
- 3 hours
- Difficulty Medium
- 6 Ingredients
This Gluten Free Orange and Almond Cake and is super tasty and is incredibly light.
Enjoyed by adults and children. Serve with a blueberry compote and a dollop of chilled coconut cream and you have a delectable dessert for all occasions.
It contains only wholesome ingredients and is naturally gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free.
Ingredients (serves 12 | makes 12-16 pieces of cake)
- 3 medium Oranges
- 6 Eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup Pure Maple Syrup
- 250g Almond meal
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder (gluten free)
- 1 tablespoon Flaked almonds
- Place the clean, whole and unpeeled oranges in water to cover and bring to the boil. Simmer for 1 and a 1/2 hours or until soft, adding more water when necessary.
- Drain the oranges, cut into quarters, discard any major pips, and blend the rest, including the peel, in a food processor or blender. Then cool.
- Heat oven to 180C.
- Beat the egg yolks and maple syrup together in a large bowl until mixture thickens and increases in size.
- Beat in the oranges, almond meal and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until softly peaky, then fold into mixture.
- Pour into a high-sided 22cm springform cake tin and bake for approx 1 hour, until firm to the touch. Cover with a loose sheet of foil if over browning.
- Cool in tin.
- Top with flaked almonds and a slice of orange.
This cake freezes really well. When you are ready to eat take it out of the freezer and allow to thaw overnight.