- Serves 3
- 45 minutes
- Difficulty Medium
- 13 Ingredients
Succulent juicy prawns in a tangy, creamy coconut sauce served on a bed of steaming white rice
Ingredients (serves 3)
- 500 gm prawns, cleaned, shelled and deveined
- to taste salt
- 2 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 dry red chilli
- 1/2 tsp peppercorns
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1-2 tbsp tamarind pulp
- Marinate the prawns with salt, chopped green chillies and onion for half an hour.
- Grind coriander seeds, cumin seeds, garlic, dry red chilli, peppercorns, garlic and turmeric powder into a fine paste. Keep aside.
- Cook the prawns along with the marinade for 3-4 minutes and keep aside.
- In another pan,mix the ground masala with water and bring to boil. When the mixture reduces to half, add the tamarind pulp.
- Reduce heat and finally add thick coconut milk to make enough gravy. Add salt to taste and cook till done. Ensure that the heat is not too high or the milk will split.
- Add the cooked prawns and simmer on low heat for another minute.
- Serve on a bed of steamed white rice.
Tip – Cooking the dish in an earthenware pot enhances the taste and aroma.