Haleem is a delicious Indian dish made from meat, lentils and pounded what (made in a thick paste). It can be enjoyed all year round, but is particularly yummy in Winter.
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 1kg beef or chicken boneless
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 2 medium onions, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup wheat grain
- 1/2 cup gram lentils
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1/2 cup split chick peas
- 1 cup cooking oil
- 2tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 3tbsp chili powder
- 3tbsp coriander powder
- 2tbsp salt
- 1tbsp turmeric
- 2tbsp cumin, roasted and crushed
- 2tbsp all spice
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves, chopped
- 4 green chilies, chopped
- 1tsp chat masala
- 2 lemons
- 1 brown onion
- Soak together wheat and barley overnight and gram lentils and split chick peas separately. The next morning cook wheat and barley with 10 cups of water on low flame until tender
- Boil gram lentils and split chick-peas in 6 cups of water on low flame until tender, let cool and then blend them all together in blender or with hand mixer for a fine mix.
- Heat 1 cup of oil, add sliced onion and fry until light golden. Add 2 tbsp of ginger garlic paste, chilli powder, coriander powder, salt, turmeric, cumin and covered cook then add 4 to 6 cups of water cover and cook until tender.
- Roughly mash beef/chicken with hands and mix mashed beef/chicken with blended wheat and gram mixture, and cook in a pan combining very well. Add a little water, add all spice and chat masala and keep mashing very well.
- Cook for at least half an hour, lastly heat ½ cup oil, add 1 sliced onion and fry until light golden. Garnish on top of haleem in a serving bowl with chopped coriander, green chilli and lemon.