- Serves 4
- 20 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 12 Ingredients
A quick easy stir fry Haloumi cheese with pineapple, veggies and rice.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 125g Haloumi cheese cut in small cubes
- 2 slices of canned pineapple cut in small chunks
- 1 small brown onion diced
- 1/4 head of purple cabbage chopped in small pieces
- 1 medium carrot diced
- 1 medium capsicum diced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 TBSP light soy sauce
- 1 TBSP pineapple juice reserved from canned pineapple
- 1TBSP cooking oil
- a sprinkle of sesame seeds
- Heat frypan in medium-high heat for a minute, add oil to frypan, tilt and swirl to coat the surface. Sweat onion but do not brown too much, add carrot and cabbage, stir frequently till they are soft.
- Add cheese and continue to stir until the cheese is slightly brown on the edges. Add capsicum, frozen peas and pineapple. Stir for a minute, then add rice and break up the lumps so the rice is spread out evenly.
- When the rice has heated through, add soy sauce and pineapple juice. Stir briskly to combine all ingredients. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, turn off heat. Transfer fried rice to a big platter to share at the table immediately.
Haloumi cheese is one of my favorites. It's perfect for a non-meat dish and still brings plenty of flavour to the taste buds. Pineapple adds that lovely sweetness to counter act the saltiness of the slightly fried cheese. Here's a big secret - cook the rice a day in advance, keep in fridge loosely covered with glad wrap so the moisture from the cooked rice is reduced, it will guarantee the best result that matches any top chef's fried rice.