These ham and cheese potato cakes are so tasty and a great way to use left over mashed potato – or a great excuse to make extra!
Ingredients (makes 12 Cakes)
- 2 Cups Cold Mashed Potato
- 1 1/2 Cups Flour (or more as needed)
- 1 Cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 1 Tbsp Chives, Chopped
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 1 Cup Ham, diced
- 1/2 Shallot, finely chopped
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced
- Pinch Salt & Pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In a large bowl, stir together the mashed potatoes, flour, cheese, and eggs. If you're using leftover mashed potatoes that have had a lot of milk in them, you will likely need to add more flour until the mixture is thick and workable. You should be able to take a ball of dough in your hand and press it into a patty without it sticking to your hands. Add flour until it reaches this consistency. Alternately, if the dough is too thick and dry, add milk one tablespoon at a time until it reaches the right consistency.
- Once your dough is the right consistency, stir in the ham, shallot, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat. Add just enough oil to lightly cover the bottom of the pan.
- When the oil is hot, take a golf ball sized ball of dough and press into a patty. Place in the pan. Repeat with the rest of the dough, being sure not to crowd the pan.
- Cook for 2 minutes per side or until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel.
Optional: Sprinkle with extra cheese and chives before serving.