I am the Queen of swapping. Yes I love to swap every day ingredients that we cook with healthy alternatives. It’s easy once you know which are the best choices to make. People often tell me that they like how I use everyday ingredients in my recipes and that they are simple, quick and easy to prepare so if you want to offer your family healthier meals then join me and start swapping. You will drastically cut the fat count of your cooking without much effort as most normal recipes are ten times higher in fat than mine. To achieve this and still have the WOW factor for our taste buds I have to look for alternatives that will still keep the dish fabulous, a challenge at times but I love it!!!
Here are some of my top healthy food swapping ideas for use in the kitchen.
- Swap cream in cooking for evaporated light milk – it works really well in potato bakes, sauces & puddings.
- Swap butter, oil and margarine for tinned apple sauce when baking cakes or muffins.
- Swap coconut milk for evaporated light milk and a little coconut essence. Works so well in Thai curries, Indian & anything that you would use coconut milk for. At only 4g fat per cup this is a fantastic way to reduce the fat in your meals. For example my Indian Tikka Chicken recipe in book 6 is 5.9g fat per serve and would be around 60g fat per serve if you used coconut cream.
- Swap puff pastry for filo pastry and spray with cooking spray instead of brushing pastry with butter.
- Swap full fat mince for 5% fat premium mince.
- Swap whole chicken with skinless chicken breast.
- Swap full fat dairy products with low fat dairy such as for milk, cheese, cream cheese and yoghurt.
- Swap olive oil for spray oil when cooking.
- Swap white rice for Basmati rice as it has a lower GIycemic Index.
- Swap white bread for wholemeal or multi-grain bread.
- Swap full fat mayonnaise for the 97% fat-free varieties.
- Swap full fat salad dressings for fat free dressings.
- Swap sour cream for low fat cottage cheese with a little lemon juice blended together until smooth.
- Swap sweet cream for low fat cottage cheese with a little sugar and vanilla essence until blended smooth.
- And finally swap your attitude that healthy isn’t tasty as my recipes are all you would want and more. No need to miss out on your favourites. It is all about being clever and no one will know the difference.