- Serves 8
- 90 minutes
- Difficulty Medium
- 8 Ingredients
Try this HEAVENLY CHOCOLATE CAKE it's to die for!! ha, ha!!! – I serve a thin slice at the end of dinner. The only accompaniment it needs is an "angel's breath" of icing sugar through a fine mesh sieve before serving!
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 200g good bitter chocolate
- 100g ground almonds
- 1tbs brandy or cognac
- 100g butter
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1tbs strong black coffee
- 100g caster sugar
- icing sugar to dust
- Combine chocolate, brandy and coffee in a heat proof bowl over a pot of simmering water or in the microwave.
- Stir when melted, add butter and sugar, stirring well until melted.
- Remove from heat and add almonds, then stir in lightly beaten egg yolks.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and peaky.
- Stir a spoonful of the whites into the mixture to lighten it, then gentle fold in the rest and turn into a buttered, paper lined 18cm cake tin and bake at 160oC for 45 minutes.
- Leave to cool completely before turning out.