Easy breakfast dish, and you can make these crumpets extra cute by playing with the shapes if you have other shaped cookie cutter rings.
Ingredients (serves 3 | makes 6-8 crumpets)
- 1 Cup Plain Flour
- 1/2Tsp Salt
- 1/2Tsp White Sugar
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 200 ml Warm Water
- 1 Tsp Instant Yeast
- 1 Tbsp Warm Water
- Place flour, salt, white sugar and baking powder in a bowl and mix. Then add the 200ml warm water and whisk till well combined, about 1.5 minutes.
- In a separate small bowl dissolve the instant yeast in the 1 tablespoon of water.
- Add yeast mixture into the the bowl with the whisked flour and whisk to combine. Cover with cling wrap and leave in a warm spot for about 20 minutes.
- Grease a few rings (metal or silicon) with butter and place in a lightly greased non stick fry pan. Turn stove on to about medium heat.
- Pour some batter into each ring approx 1.5cm high, the heat will make them rise a bit. cook for about 2 minutes and bubbles should appear.
- Turn the heat down when you see the bubbles beginning to pop. Cook for about 3 minutes until all the bubbles have popped.
- Remove the rings and flip the crumpets over and cook for about 30 sec just to colour the top of the crumpet.
- Eat straight away with your choice of topping or leave to cool down and place them in the toaster to warm up and eat later or the next day.