My kids are obsessed with Fruit Roll Ups but with the storebought ones I feel like they are eating lollies. These homemade fruit roll ups allow you to control the fruit you use and the amount of sugar.
Ingredients (makes 12 small fruit roll ups)
- 2 punnets Ripe Strawberries
- 1 cup Raspberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tbs Honey or Rice Malt Syrup
- Preheat oven to 100 degrees celcius (fan forced) or 120 degrees (non fan forced).
- Rinse strawberries and remove stems.
- Place strawberries, raspberries and honey/rice malt syrup into a blender or food processor and blitz until there are no lumps at all.
- Place a sheet of baking paper onto a cookie sheet (or large flat baking tray) and then pour half of the fruit mixture onto the paper. Spread the mixture as evenly as possible - right out to the edges of the paper. Spend a little time making the mixture as even as possible so that the edges don't dry out too quickly versus the middle. Use a second baking tray and paper for the other half of the mixture.
- Place in the oven for 2 - 3 hours. Check every hour - the fruit roll ups are ready to come out when the fruit mixture doesn't stick to your finger or come away when touched. Be patient and don't be tempted to increase the temp as this just dries out the edges too much and they won't roll.
- Once the mixture is dry to touch all over, remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Once cool, cut the sheet of baking paper (with the fruit roll up still attached) into thirds lengthways and half across ways. Roll up and voila! Homemade Fruit Roll Ups!
You can try many different flavour combinations for these roll ups - Raspberry & Apple, Banana & Strawberry, Apple & Date, Raspberry and Blueberries etc.