I recently tried making my own almond milk and it was WAY easier than I thought it would be! All you need are the right ingredients and a high speed blender or thermomix, a Nut milk bag (although people have told me using a new stocking – not a smelly old one – will also do the trick (I would probably double it up) or a muslin.
Not sure if you have noticed, by the almond milk you buy in the supermarket has A LOT of sugar in it. So give this a try, it is much better for you, will last in the fridge for about 3 days – add it to your porridge, to a breakfast smoothie, add it to coffee or tea, or just drink it on its own. Just give it a go!
- 1 cup of raw almond – like in the image above.
- 4 cups of water – filtered is best (plus you will need more to soak the almonds)
- 1-2 dates – this is used as the sweetener. You could try a bit of honey or cinnamon if you like
How to make it
- You will need to soak your almonds over night (or all day). Put the almond in a bowl and cover with water (filtered is best)
- Once you have soaked them, you will need to rinse them. Have a try of one, they are really yummy after soaking!
- Put the almonds and the 4 cups of filtered water into your blender (don’t use the water that you soaked the almonds in)
- Blend for approx 4-5 minutes, until it looks like or sounds like all the almonds are all crushed
- Place the contents of the blender into the nut milk bag, over a bowl so it drains into a bowl! Then squeeze the contents out, leaving the almond meal in the bag
- Rinse the blender and lid, add the milk back into the blender and add your sweetener of choice and blend for about another minute
You can also try using other nuts – brazils, hazelnuts, cashews – or a combination.
Let me know how you go!