This is a delicious hummus recipe. Now you can also make the falafel.
Ingredients (makes 5 cups )
- 375g McKenzie's Chick Peas
- 2 Tbsp garlic, crushed (approx 8 cloves)
- 1 tsp McKenzie's paprika
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 Tbsp lemon juice
- McKenzie's Whole Black Peppercorns, grinded to taste
- Prepare chick peas as per instructions on pack. Drain well.
- Puree chick peas in a blender or food processor. Add remaining ingredients (except pepper) and blend together. Slowly add ¾ - 1 cup water until a smooth creamy consistency is reached to your liking.
- Season with pepper to taste.
Notes... Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of paprika. Not only does this make a great dip, try spreading on warmed pita breads before topping with cooked chicken or lamb, tomato slices and shredded lettuce for a tasty souvlaki. Thin down this recipe slightly with extra water making a delicious sauce to accompany a salad, grilled chicken breast, baked potatoes, grilled fish or steamed veggies. A great after school snack served with fresh carrot, celery and red capsicum sticks.
When Nutrition Australia unveiled its 'new and improved' healthy food pyramid earlier this year, legumes was the one food group that appeared twice! Rich in protein, carbohydrates, dietary fibre, minerals and vitamins, these healthy and cost effective vegetables should form part of a daily diet for both children and adults alike. These days, children obesity levels are rising and Australian kids are eating more foods high in fat and sugars. Cleverly incorporating legumes and other healthy vegetables into their daily diet is one way of improving overall health and wellbeing.