You’ll love this creative twist on everyone’s favourite shepherds’ pie!
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 6 x large (250g) brushed potatoes
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 stick celery, thinly sliced
- 500g extra lean beef mince
- 410g can no added salt tomato puree
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp reduced salt vegetable stock powder
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- Cracked black pepper, to season
- 1/4 cup reduced fat milk, approximately
- 1/2 cup reduced fat tasty cheese
- Olive oil spray
- Green salad, to serve
- Preheat oven to 190°C (170°C fan-forced).
- Scrub potatoes clean under cold water. Prick with a fork, place on an oven tray and bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until tender when tested with a skewer. Remove from oven, cool slightly.
- While potatoes are baking, heat oil in a non-stick frypan, add onion, carrot and celery and sauté for 5 minutes or until vegetables have softened slightly.
- Add mince, cook until mince is browned all over, breaking up any large pieces with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce, water, stock powder and herbs, season with pepper, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until mixture is reduced and well thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Cut potatoes in half and scoop out potato flesh leaving a 1cm shell. Place potato flesh in a bowl, season with pepper, add milk a little at a time and mash with a fork until light and fluffy.
- Place the potato shells on an oven tray and fill with the mince mixture.
- Spoon the mashed potato over mince filling in potato shells, sprinkle with grated cheese and spray lightly with cooking spray. Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until light golden. Serve with a green salad.