These Japanese rice balls are simple yet tasty little snacks that are perfect for the kids lunchbox, finger food or even as a side with some salad for lunch or dinner.
Ingredients (makes 26 Balls)
- 2 Cups Medium Grain Rice
- 3 1/2 Cups Water
- 2 Cubes Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- Japanese Rice Seasoning (can be bought at any asian store)
- Salt (to taste)
- Rinse rice for about 2 minutes. Dissolve stock into a little hot water and add to the water for boiling rice. Boil the rice as per packet instructions. The stock will help to flavour the rice.
- Give the rice a quick rinse under hot water and transfer to a bowl. Add the Rice seasoning and some salt to taste. While the rice is still hot, using a butter knife fold the seasoning and salt though. Do not mush it.
- Wearing gloves as this can get messy and as the rice is still quite hot, roll rice into bite size balls. Store in a container or wrap separately in plastic wrap and freeze.