- Makes 26
- 20 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 5 Ingredients
These Japanese rice balls are simple yet tasty little snacks that are perfect for the kids lunchbox, finger food or even as a side with some salad for lunch or dinner.
Ingredients (makes 26 Balls)
- 2 Cups Medium Grain Rice
- 3 1/2 Cups Water
- 2 Cubes Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- Japanese Rice Seasoning (can be bought at any asian store)
- Salt (to taste)
Notes... There are many seasoning flavours that you can buy. They can come in packets or small jars. Please note that the seasoning is quite strong and so you don't want to use too much. Medium rice is the best to use for this recipe. You want the rice to stick together. Using short grain rice will just become mushy and long grain rice won't stick together.
- Rinse rice for about 2 minutes. Dissolve stock into a little hot water and add to the water for boiling rice. Boil the rice as per packet instructions. The stock will help to flavour the rice.
- Give the rice a quick rinse under hot water and transfer to a bowl. Add the Rice seasoning and some salt to taste. While the rice is still hot, using a butter knife fold the seasoning and salt though. Do not mush it.
- Wearing gloves as this can get messy and as the rice is still quite hot, roll rice into bite size balls. Store in a container or wrap separately in plastic wrap and freeze.
Recipe Japanese rice balls
You may also like…
You May Like
Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.