A lovely light slice which is great for afternoon tea.
Ingredients (makes 18 slices)
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 125 grams butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Butter a loaf pan.
- In a bowl sift the flour and baking powder. Add the zest and mix. Take out one tablespoon of the flour mix and add coat the blueberries with it (this should stop them all sinking to the bottom).
- In another bowl beat the butter until light and fluffy. Add the sugar and continue to beat. Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Mix in 1/3 of the flour and then 1/2 of the milk. Follow with 1/3 of the flour and then half of the milk. Add the last 1/3 of the flour then add the lemon juice and vanilla.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Pour/spoon the mix into the loaf pan. Bake for around 55-65 minutes until golden brown.
You can also add a swirl of blueberry jam through to intensify the blueberry flavour.