- Makes 12
- 60 minutes
- Difficulty Medium
- 9 Ingredients
A twist on the usual lemon slice with a creamy filling and crunchy top.
Ingredients (makes 12 slices)
- 125 grams butter
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs (large)
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (around 2 lemons)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees and grease and 20x20 pan.
- BASE: Beat the butter and 1/4 cup icing sugar until creamy making sure there are no lumps. Add the flour and beat until a dough just forms. Press into the bottom of the pan and bake for around 20 minutes until lightly browned around the edges. Remove and cool while you make the filling.
- FILLING: Beat the cup of white sugar and the eggs until smooth. Add the lemon juice and zest and stir to combine. Fold in the flour and then pour over the base. Sprinkle the 2 tablespoons of white sugar over the top (this will form the brulee) and bake for around 20 minutes. If the brulee has not formed for the last couple of minutes increase the oven temp.
- Cut into squares once cooled.
You can do this slice without the brulee top and dust with icing sugar instead.