This lemon meringue pie is delicious and you can vary it by swapping the lemons for oranges!
Ingredients (makes 2 pies)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 6 separated eggs whites and yokes
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 5 lemons
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees. Grease two pyrex pie dishes.
- Mix juice of lemons, 1/4 cup caster sugar, and butter into saucepan over low heat until thickened.
- Put the egg whites in a bowl and with the electric beater, mix the egg whites while adding the rest of the caster sugar slowly. Beat until whites are thickened and caster sugar is dissolved. Mix until strong tall peaks form.
- Place thickened lemon mixture into a pyrex bowl and allow to cool.
- Once cooled spread the lemon mixture into the pyrex pie dish. Once finished mixing meringue mixture place on top of lemon mixture evenly.
- Place in a preheated oven 150 degrees. Keep turning until golden brown. Allow to cool.