- Serves 4
- 45 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 14 Ingredients
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1/2 cup (75g) macadamias, roughly chopped
- 2 cups (100g) panko breadcrumbs*
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 12 chicken tenderloins (OR 4 x 170g chicken reast fillets, cut into thirds lengthways)
- Sunflower oil, to deep fry
- TOMATO SALSA
- 4 tomatoes, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 long green chilli, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 tbs grated ginger
- 2 tbs chopped coriander, plus extra leaves to serve chopped coriander, plus extra leaves to serve
- Juice of 1 lime, plus lime wedges to serve
- 1/3 cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil
- For the tomato salsa, place all the ingredients in a bowl, season then toss to combine. Set aside.
- Place the macadamias and breadcrumbs in a food processor and whiz to fine crumbs. Transfer to a bowl.
- Place the flour in a separate bowl and season. Place the egg in a third bowl.
- Dip the chicken first in flour, shaking off the excess, then in the egg and finally in the macadamia crumbs, making sure each piece is well coated. Chill for 20 minutes to firm up.
- Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- Half fill a large saucepan or deep fryer with the oil and heat to 190°C (if you don't have a kitchen thermometer, a cube of bread dropped into the oil will turn golden after 30 seconds when the oil is hot enough). In batches, deep-fry the crumbed chicken strips for 3-4 minutes until golden and cooked through. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Transfer to a baking tray and keep warm in the oven while you cook the remaining chicken.
- Serve the chicken strips with the tomato salsa, lime wedges and extra coriander leaves.
*Panko are light, crunchy Japanese breadcrumbs, available from Asian food shops and selected supermarkets.