- Serves 8
- 1 hours
- Difficulty Easy
- 11 Ingredients
Love Mexican but need a little change? Why not try this Mexican Beef Layer Bake … filled with delicious ground beef, black beans, tomatoes, carrots and corn. Layered with Sour Cream and Brown Rice and then topped with lashings of cheese.
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 1.5 cups Ground Beef (either beef mince cooked or a cooked steak minced in the food processor)
- 1 medium Brown Onion, finely diced
- 400g Canned Tomatoes
- 1 large Carrot, finely grated
- 1 cob Fresh Corn, kernels removed (or 1/2 can canned or frozen corn)
- 1/2 cup Black Beans
- 1 sachet Burrito Mix
- 2 cups Cooked Brown Rice
- 1 Egg
- 250mL Sour Cream
- 2 cups Grated Tasty Cheese
Notes... This recipe would also work brilliantly if you replaced the beef mince with chicken or pork. Or triple the black beans and remove the meat altogether for a vegetarian option. Add a little (or a lot) of spice by adding either chilli sprinkles or jalapenos - the heat level is up to you.
- If the ground beef (beef mince) is not already cooked, cook until well browned in a little olive oil, adding in the onion about halfway through cooking.
- While the mince is cooking combine the brown rice, the egg and 1/2 cup of the grated cheese in a separate bowl and mix well.
- Place all the rice into a heatproof glass dish (we used a glass bowl) and gently press down until you have a flat surface on the rice mixture.
- Spoon 2 - 3 tablespoons of Sour Cream over the top of the brown rice and distribute evenly creating another 'layer'.
- Remove the mince from heat and add the canned tomatoes, carrot, corn, black beans and burrito mix and stir until completely combined.
- Spoon the mince mixture on top of the sour cream and level out the mixture to create another 'layer'.
- Create the final layer with the rest of the grated cheese.
- Place the bowl into a preheated oven (180 degrees celcius fan forced) and cook for 30 - 40 minutes. Check frequently to ensure the cheese on top isn't burning.
- To serve place 2 - 3 tablespoons of tomato salsa (we used store bought) in the centre and top with a large dollop of sour cream. Stand a bunch of corn chips up in the sour cream to create the 'rose' in the centre.
- Serve with a fresh green salad and a freshly made guacamole if you have avocados and lemon juice.
You may also like…
You May Like
Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.