These Mexican Pork Meatball Subs are a fun and easy mid-week dinner option for the entire family.
Full of flavour Mexican Pork Meatball Subs are a fun take on a traditional Mexican meal, that the family and especially the kids are sure to love.
What’s great about this recipe is that it’s simple to cook and perfect for the family to enjoy. Best of all the delicious ingredients are popped into a sub, so you don’t even need cutlery, the kids can simply eat with it their hands.
This recipe is made with pork mince, that offers great value for a family meal versus other mince options.
Australian Pork, has great taste and versatility. Add pork mince to your weekly shopping list or visit the Australian Pork site for more winning dinner ideas.
Want to win at mid-week family dinners? Find out how here.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 500g pork mince
- 3 green onions (shallots), trimmed and finely sliced
- 35g sachet taco seasoning
- 2 cups grated cheese
- 375g jar thick 'n chunky tomato salsa
- 4 long crusty bread rolls
- 2 chopped pickled jalapeno chillies to serve (optional)
- 1 bunch coriander leaves to serve (optional)
- To make meatballs, combine pork mince, green onions, taco seasoning and 1 cup grated cheese in a large bowl. Mix until well combined. Roll mince mixture into 20 meatballs. Place onto a tray lined with baking paper. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180 to 160 fan-forced. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook meatballs, in batches and turning occasionally, for 5 minutes until evenly browned. Pour salsa and half a cup of water into the pan. Stir until combined.
- Bring mixture to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through.
- Meanwhile, cutting all the way through, split each bread roll lengthways through the centre on the top side of the roll. Place rolls on an oven rack and heat for 5 minutes or until warmed.
- Spoon meatballs and tomato salsa into bread rolls. Sprinkle with cheese. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes until cheese melts. Serve subs with chopped pickled jalapeno chillies and coriander leaves (optional).