I loved going to the Indian sweet shop as a child. There was a full display of so many desserts to choose from and I loved all the different colours their were. I love the creamy texture barfi has and it is soooo simple to make!
Ingredients (makes 30 pieces)
- Plain Barfi:
- 3cups Milk Powder
- 1cup Caster sugar
- 1 1/4cup Milk
- 3Tbl Ghee
- Handful of nuts (your preference)
- Rose Barfi:
- 1tbl Rosewater
- 1cup Crushed cashews
- Pink food colouring
- Rose petals for garnish (optional)
- Line a 20x20cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Whisk milk powder, milk and caster sugar in a medium fry pan. Once the mixture is lump free add the ghee and place the pan on a medium heat.
- Whisk continuously and the mixture will with thicken. Once the mixture starts to lift off the sides of the pan (roughly ten minutes) and is a fudge consistency it's ready to be placed in the cake tin. Flatten with the back of a spoon and sprinkle with nuts of choice. Refrigerate for a couple hours before slicing and serving.
- * Rose Barfi. - Add rosewater and food colouring to the saucepan at step two. - Mix in cashews once the mixture is ready for the cake tin.