- Makes 8
- 15 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 10 Ingredients
Once there was a gingerbread man, baking in a gingerbread pan, raisin eyes and a cherry nose, trimmed right down to his fingers and toes.
Preparation 20 minutes, plus chilling time
Cooking 10 minutes
Ingredients (makes 8 )
- 125g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 2 cups plain flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 cup pure icing sugar
- lollies, to decorate
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until pale and creamy. Add the egg and golden syrup, then beat until just combined. Sift the flour, ginger and soda together, then fold into the butter mixture until a dough forms.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently until smooth. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours. Preheat oven to moderate, 180C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Roll the dough between 2 sheets of baking paper until about 1cm thick. Using a ginger bread man cutter, cut 8 shapes from the dough. Place on prepared tray, allowing space for spreading. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden. Cool on tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an air tight container.
Tip - Mix the icing sugar with enough water to form a paste. Pipe or spoon eyes and mouths onto gingerbread girls, then decorate with lollies of your choice. You could use decoration icing from the supermarket, if you prefer. You could also try using other cookie cutter shapes for more variety and fun.