This lasagna has been tweaked by my mother who has been using this recipe for years. So delicious! It tastes even better the next day, if you have leftovers.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 250g San remo large instant lasagna sheets
- 3 tsp Tomato Paste
- 1 Onion (chopped) (i use frozen diced onion)
- 1 Garlic clove (crushed) I just use minced garlic
- 500g Minced beef
- 2 tsp Mixed herbs
- 2 x 410g tins Crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 125g Grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups Milk
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Pinch Nutmeg
- 4 Tbsp Plain flour
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- Meat sauce: Heat oil in medium saucepan and gently fry onion and garlic for 5 minutes. Add meat and herbs. Fry on medium heat, stirring regularly, until meat is brown.
- Mix in tomatoes with juice, salt, sugar and tomato paste. Mix well, cover and cook slowly for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn on oven to 180C. Cheese sauce: Melt butter in medium saucepan and stir in flour. On medium heat, gradually stir in milk. Mix in salt, pepper, nutmeg and cheeses. Stir constantly until the mixture thickens and starts to bubble.
- Assembly: I like to divide the meat sauce up into 3rds in the pan and use 1/3 per layer. Place 1/3 of the meat sauce to base of dish followed by lasagna sheets then 1/3 of cheese sauce. Repeat steps for all 3 layers. I also like to keep extra cheese sauce for the top layer and then sprinkle the top with a little extra Parmesan cheese, yum!
- Place in oven for 30 minutes.
You can also add in mushrooms and salami into the meat sauce mix if desired.