- Makes 2
- 30 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 8 Ingredients
Nanna always made this mayonnaise and served it with crisp Iceberg lettuce in Summer. I've tried many salad dressings and different types of mayonnaise over the years, and I've never found one to compare to this for taste.
Ingredients (makes 2 cups)
- 1 level tablespoon Plain Flour
- 1 level tablespoon Mustard Powder
- 1/2 cup White Vinegar
- 1/2 level teaspoon Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup White Sugar
- 1 cup Full-cream Milk
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- Place all ingredients except milk and butter in the top of a double saucepan (or in a heat-proof bowl that fits into a saucepan). Place over medium heat and stir mixture constantly while water boils.
- Add milk a little at a time or mixture will curdle. Stir mixture until it thickens like custard but DO NOT allow mixture to boil (approximately 10 minutes). Remove from heat and add butter, stirring gently.
- Place saucepan or bowl into a sink with about two inches of cold water in the sink. When mixture is lukewarm, place mixture in an airtight container, and when cool, refrigerate.
For a slightly different flavour, try adding a clove of crushed garlic to the mixture, or for a bit of a kick, a few drops of tabasco sauce.