- Makes 10
- 1.5 hours
- Difficulty Easy
- 9 Ingredients
My grandmother used to cook pasties regularly and even now, when I have one of these I have memories of my childhood come flooding back. Fluffy puff pastry, juicy filling (served with tomato sauce of course). Perfect for a cold winter in Ballarat.
Ingredients (makes 10 depending on size)
- 1kg blade steak
- 1kg potatoes
- 2 med sized carrots
- 1 parsnip
- 1cup frozen peas
- 2 med onions
- salt and pepper
- puff pastry sheets
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Dice the steak, potatoes, carrots, parsnip, onions into 1cm size cubes. Keep the onions apart.
- Lightly cook the onion until soft, but not brown.
- mix in all vegies and meat until well combined
- salt and pepper well.
- lay out thawed pastry sheet, using a round plate as a template cut out a circle and place mixture into middle. Close over the pastry but first lightly brush one side with the beaten egg mix. Pinch sides together, pierce pastry a few times with fork. Place on baking tray.
- Repeat until you feel you have enough to feed an army... seems every time I make these friends and family come from everywhere.
- Baste with the egg mix, cook in hot over til pastry puffed and golden brown.
- ### If you have left over meat/vegie mix, cook mix up in a pan, add gravy mix(water) and you can now use the mix as a savoury pie alternative.