- Difficulty Easy
- 1 Ingredients
Olive oil, to grease
4 ripe tomatoes
2 long fresh red chillies, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon mustard seed oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 400g chicken mince 1 small brown onion, finely chopped 2 shallots, ends trimmed, finely chopped 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander 2 teaspoons ground cumin 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger Pinch of ground nutmeg 300g (2 cups) plain flour Pinch of salt 125ml (1/2 cup) water Olive oil, to grease 40g butter
- To make the tomato achar, preheat oven to 200Â°C. Brush a baking tray with olive oil to lightly grease. Place the tomatoes on the tray. Roast in oven for 45 minutes or until golden and the skin loosens. Set aside until cool enough to handle. Use your fingers to remove the skins and discard. Place the tomatoes in the bowl of a food processor. Add the chilli and process until smooth.
- Heat mustard seed oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until soft. Add the coriander and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until aromatic. Add the tomato mixture. Reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until the mixture thickens slightly. Season with salt and pepper.
- To make the momos, combine the mince, onion, shallot, coriander, cumin, garlic, ginger and nutmeg in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge.
- Place the flour and salt in a bowl. Make a well in the centre. Pour in the water. Use a wooden spoon in a cutting motion to mix until almost combined, adding extra water if necessary. Use your hands to bring the dough together in the bowl. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes or until smooth. Place in the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 20 minutes to rest.
- Brush a large baking tray with olive oil to lightly grease. Roll 1 tablespoonful of dough into a ball. Use the palm of your hand to flatten. Use a rolling pin to roll out to an 8cm-diameter disc. Holding the dough disc in the palm of your hand, place 1 tablespoonful of mince mixture in the centre. Bring the dough together to enclose the filling, pleating and pinching the edges to seal. Place on the prepared tray and cover with a damp tea towel. Repeat with the remaining dough and mince mixture to make 24 momos.
- Add enough water to a wok to reach a depth of 5cm. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Brush a large bamboo steamer with olive oil to lightly grease. Place one-third of the momos in the steamer and cover. Place over the wok and cook, covered, for 12 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer to a large plate. Repeat, in 2 more batches, with remaining momos.
- Heat half the butter in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook half the momos for 2 minutes or until bases are crisp. Repeat with remaining butter and momos. Serve with tomato achar.