- Makes 8
- 60 minutes
- Difficulty Medium
- 8 Ingredients
These olive oil tarts are an easy and delicious dessert recipe that looks as good as it tastes.
Ingredients (makes 8 Tarts)
- 2 1/2 cups Plain Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Caster Sugar
- 1 cup Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Almond Milk
- 1 cup Raw Cashews - soaked for about 2 hours in water
- 1 Tablespoon Maple Syrup
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 1 can Pitted Black Cherries
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. For the Pastry: Pulse the flower, sugar, oil and milk together in a kitchen whizz. Be warned this is not a roll out pastry and it will be very moist and crumbly. It will almost resemble a wet cookie dough. (When I first saw it I thought - oh bugger I need to try another recipe - but rather than waste it I thought I would continue and I am so glad I did). As long as the mixture holds together when you press it, it is of the right consistency.
- Press pastry into each tart case until evenly distributed. Line with some baking paper and pie weights and cook in 180 degree oven for 30 minutes or so.
- For the cashew cream: Put soaked drained cashews, maple syrup and vanilla essence into vitamiser and add 1/4 - 3/4 cup water and vitamise until smooth and desired consistency of thickened cream.
- For the cherry glaze, drain the syrup from the cherries and heat in saucepan over medium heat until syrup reduces and resembles a glaze.
- To assemble: Wait until the pastry shells are cold and fill with cashew cream. Top with cherries, garnish with cherry glaze.
I have always loved France and French food. The decadence of the country is so appealing. When I became vegan there were so many things I craved and a flaky buttery pastry was one of them. These tarts are Paris in a mouthful. They could be used with any type of filling as well though definitely try this version for a beautifully light dessert.