- Serves 2
- 15 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 11 Ingredients
Haloumi cheese and pickles are a perfect match on this sandwich!
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 250g Haloumi cheese cut in thick strips
- 2 slices Sourdough bread
- 1/2 punnet Cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1 small Carrot thinly sliced
- 1/2 Cucumber peeled, seeds removed and then thinly sliced
- 1 cup Water
- 1 TBSP Apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp Sugar
- A pinch of salt & pepper
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- Basil to decorate
- Firstly prepare the pickle: In a small saucepan, bring the sugar, vinegar and water to a boil. Continue boiling for a minute or 2 then turn off heat.
- Arrange sliced carrot, cucumber and tomatoes in a bowl, cover with just boiled liquid and drizzle with sesame oil. Set aside for 10 minutes, the flavour will develop the longer it stands.
- Toast bread if you prefer. Pan fry Haloumi cheese in medium heat and turn when golden and crisp around the edges. Place cheese on bread, top it with pickles and basil. Serve.
A girlfriend dropped in for a quick chat and it was lunch time, so I whipped this up in short notice, very little effort but the result was amazingly delicious. You can cut bread to any size as base to make this combination and turn it into finger food, or a light snack. Any leftover pickles can be accompanying other dishes later in the day.