- Makes 12
- 30 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 11 Ingredients
Suitable to be frozen.
Dietitian’s Tip: Dried fruit increases the nutritional composition of the muffin and the recipe is low in fat, so it makes a great alternative to a traditional muffin.
Ingredients (makes 12 )
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon bi-carb soda
- 120g can pureed apple (Heinz)
- 2 tablespoons orange rind, finely grated
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup dried dates, chopped
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 1/3 cup (50g) pistachio nuts, chopped
- cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- In a large mixing bowl beat egg whites and sugar for 1 minute. Add bicarb soda to apple sauce (it will froth), then add to bowl and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Pour in juice, add rind and dates, combine well. Sift flour into wet mix and gently fold together. DO NOT BEAT as this will make the muffins tough. The less the mixture is moved, the lighter the muffins.
- Coat a 12-cup muffin tray with cooking spray, then spoon mixture evenly into each muffin cup. Sprinkle an equal amount of pistachio nuts over top of each muffin then sprinkle a small amount of sugar over each one.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until firm to touch in centre. Leave to rest for a few minutes then place onto a wire rack to cool.