If you’re struggling to encourage the kids to enjoy their veggies, try making this recipe for easy and delicious Parsnip and Zucchini Slice!
Why we love Parsnip and Zucchini slice
Who doesn’t love a good slice?
They’re so easy to make, bake and serve! This Parsnip and Zucchini slice is no different – it’s simple to cook, and tasty to boot! Cooking veggies in a slice form is one of the easiest ways to get your kids enjoying their five a day. Wrapped up and hidden inside the quiche-style egg and cheese, they won’t even know they’re wolfing down healthy vegetables as they dig in. This recipe for parsnip and zucchini slice calls for parsnips and zucchini obviously, but also carrot and shallots to plump up the zucchini slice and fill up your bellies. Zucchini is sometimes referred to in those lists about ‘weight loss wonder foods’. This is because zucchinis are a summer squash, and, according to good old Wikipedia, have very low calorific content. Per 100g there are about only 17 calories, so they are a good veggie to fill up your belly with, but not the best for giving you energy. It’s a good thing then that this parsnip and zucchini slice contains so many other delicious ingredients that will give you the energy kick you need if you’re eating this zucchini slice for lunch! Zucchinis do, however, contain important nutrients like folate, potassium, provitamin A, and plenty of vitamin C!
If you or your kids need a little more ‘oomph’ to hide the veggies further, you can add little pieces of chopped up bacon that’ll really trick the kids into thinking they’re eating omelette or quiche! You could also chuck in some chilli to spice it up! Parsnip and zucchini slice can be a savoury breakfast food, a healthy lunchbox addition, or dinner for the whole family!
Ingredients (serves 2)
- Melted butter, to grease
- 2 tsp light olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated green zucchini
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup grated parsnip
- 2 green shallots, chopped
- 3 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1/3 cup coarsely grated jarlsberg or tasty cheese
- 2 tbs finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbs plain flour, sifted
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush a shallow, square 18.5cm (base measurement) cake pan with melted butter to lightly grease. Line the base and 2 opposite sides with non-stick baking paper, allowing it to overhang.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the zucchini, carrot, parsnip and shallots, and cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes or until the vegetables soften. Remove from heat and set aside for 10 minutes to cool.
- Combine vegetable mixture, egg, cheese, parsley and flour in a large bowl and stir until well combined.
- Spoon vegetable mixture into prepared pan and smooth the surface. Bake in oven for 12 minutes or until set. Remove from oven and set aside for 10 minutes to cool. Lift zucchini slice from pan and place on a plate to cool completely. Cut and serve!
What veggies do you like to hide in your slices? Tell us in the comments?