- Makes 12
- 90 minutes
- Difficulty Medium
- 10 Ingredients
A lovely, moist layered slice with the tasty addition of fruit.
Ingredients (makes 12 squares)
- 2 tablespoons custard powder
- 1 cup caster sugar (1/4 cup for the custard, 3/4 for the batter)
- 1 cup milk
- 250 grams butter (50 grams for the custard, 200 grams for the batter)
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract (2 teaspoons for the custard, 1 teaspoon for the batter)
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups self raising flour (sifted)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 or 3 pears (around 400 grams) peeled, cored and diced
- Icing mixture for dusting
- Make the custard. Put the custard powder and 1/4 cup caster sugar in a pot and add enough milk to make a paste. Slowly add the rest of the milk and the vanilla essence and bring to boil stirring continuously. Once thick leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius. Grease and line a lamington tin.
- Make the batter. Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add one egg at time mixing well after each addition. Fold in the flour and buttermilk until all well combined. Add the pear and stir through.
- Put half the batter into the tin. Then spread the cooled custard over the top. Add the remaining batter spreading evenly.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Cool for around 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with icing sugar, cut into squares and eat :)
Great for using up extra fruit - you could also use apple, banana or a mixture of fruits.